So Many Clubs, So Little Time

Sydney Rose, Staff Reporter

Everyone in school has extra-curricular activities, whether they are academic based, or something they just enjoy doing. With this, there are only so many extra classes one can take, which opens the door for different after-school clubs to join.

There is a list that goes on and on of all the clubs here, but here are some that are either new to school, or have changed from what they were last year.

Jessica Song (10), Photography Club officer, joined the new club last year, hoping to meet and get along with people who had the same interest as her, taking pictures.

“We can learn more about photo techniques. We will give out topics or subjects for people to capture photos on and we’ve created a place for the members to submit them.” Song said as she talks about what the club does at each meeting.

Anyone can join this club that meets every Thursday in Ms. Laura Albritton’s room. “With photography, you can do it almost anywhere, anytime you have a phone, it doesn’t always mean you need a fancy camera,” Song said. She encourages anyone who has some passion for using a camera to join.

Those who enjoy science and helping the environment should consider joining the Eco Club. Ms. Karen Haddad, the Environmental Science teacher, is the acting sponsor for the Eco Club. She is planning for the club to make an impact in the community.

“Our main goal has always been to motivate students to become environmentally aware, to recycle, and things like that,” Ms. Haddad said. “But, since then I have found the Environthon team.”

The Environthon is a state-wide competition that gets students to compete in field test studies and present different topics about the environment in a competitive atmosphere. The members who join Eco Club spend the school year studying each environmental aspect.

“We create posters to make other students aware of conserving energy, we compete in something called the ‘Trash Bash’ and it’s perfect if you want to join a club that’s motivated to be enthusiastic about saving the environment,” Haddad said, regarding what goes on at each club meeting.

If you consider yourself a zen person or are in need of stress relief, then this next club is for you. Ally Boehning (11), one of the founders for Yoga Club, a new club this year, said the goal of this club is stress relief for students.

“Eshal Ali (11) and I came up with the idea for this club with how stressed and overwhelmed the students are at school, saying that yoga is a good outlet to help them,” Boehning said.

Yoga Club meets every other Monday. They watch videos or play games relating to yoga and end in meditation. Not just this, but one of the luring aspects of Yoga Club is the food offered during meetings.

“It’s a fun and open environment. You’re surrounded by people who want to relieve their stress and are excited about learning yoga. If you just want some time to relax, I think it’s a good idea to join,” Boehning said.

There are many other organizations offered for students to join; students have many options. No matter what your interest is, find a club that fits.