Drum Majors Lead the Way

Arin Nelson

Blake Cellum directing the band during the Homecoming Pep Rally.

Mackenzie Gross, Staff Reporter

Band isn’t something a lot of people talk about but as they finish marching season, the drum majors and the band are moving on to concert season.

The drum majors conduct from the front sideline to keep the entire band on time with each other. To even be considered, applicants participate in community service as well as try out in front of the main band director, Mr. Lester Williams. They play one of the most important roles because they lead the entire band musically and whole performance visually.  

“I wanted to provide help for the all the incoming freshmen and I wanted to experience it, like my former leaders,” drum major Lucas Del Nero (11), who stands at the front, said.

Lucas talked about the influences he had when he started band, which really made him want to be a drum major. His older brother, Daniel, was also a drum major at Clear Springs from 2015-2016.

“I’m a part of Student United Way, DECA, Nation Honor Society, National English Honor Society, National Technical Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, and Mu Alpha Theta,” Blake Cellum (12), who stands in the back, said.

Drum majors are often involved in many other organizations, he said.

“I wanted to be a drum major because I enjoy band and I wanted to create a contagious positive attitude to motivate people to want to achieve” Alexander Falks (11), who stands at the front, said.

“The key roles of being the drum majors are conducting at the front side line, keeping everyone on task, and leading the band as an extension of the directors” Mr. Williams, the main director said.

All three of the drum majors are an extension of the directors as they make sure everything in the band goes smoothly. As the band moves on to concert season, the drum majors will not be conducting anymore but will hold their positions as drum majors.

Marching Band has been working around the clock since August, but have you ever heard the stories of what goes on inside the band hall? We’ll bring you the stories and mysteries of the band. Band practices 6 days a week to make sure their show is amazing. But we wanted to get some more information.

Marching Band works really hard throughout their season to do thing like cheering the crowd on at a football game, to going to competitions against other marching bands. They’re using multitasking skills to play music and march with so many more challenges on the field. Marching band is there to give kids all the skills they will need in normal life and have fun as a big group of people or a family.

“I was super nervous my first game being a freshman on varsity,” said Lydia Stockton (10).

She is doing band for her second year and she says that she is super excited and more prepared for this year’s season. As we all know the band is better prepared after the terrible hurricane and they want to have the best season possible.

“Band is helping me learn time management, as it requires a lot of work and time to be in band” said Jenna Limero (9).

Band helps teach kids our age good time management skills, responsibility, respect and teamwork. It takes a lot of time and work to committee to being in marching band.

Band really benefits people and helps them with learning like skills they will use in their daily lives. “It’s great to be a bigger than myself, and have a bigger place in the student body” said Limero (9). Band helps kids be successful in all situations.