Core Values Resonate with Students

Gabe Bednarczyk, Staff Reporter

The winter holidays are closer than ever, the season for giving in full swing. While this time of year is always the best time to show someone you care or give back to those in need, Clear Creek ISD hopes their students and staff will keep the good fortune and good nature within them all year round through the use of core values.

“I think that teaching the core values is making a difference,” said Ms. Jenifer Pickett, ASL teacher. “Every little bit helps. Even if it’s just one kid, one day, doing one thing…that’s better.”

While CCISD has always had “behavioral framework plans,” beliefs and missions, it wasn’t until recently that “core values” came to action. “We started calling [the behavior framework plan] core values in 2015,” Dr. Greg Smith, superintendent of schools, said. “We really started pushing core values in the 2016-17 school year.”

Core values—caring, respect, trustworthiness, citizenship, responsibility and fairness—began to take flight with a special poster created and displayed throughout all schools in the district. Each school is tasked with implementing core values, the overall goal being to teach district students and staff district traits and behaviors. Each core value is important as a part of the entire list; like pieces of a puzzle, each one is necessary to create the total picture.

“We want these values to be traits that students can take with them,” Dr. Smith said on the importance of the future of core values. While giving students every opportunity for academic excellence is definitely one of CCISD’s goals, there is more required when searching for jobs and applying for colleges. Referring to students’ futures specifically, in both careers and secondary education, he said, “This is what will set our students apart from other people with similar academic success.”

At Clear Springs High School, core values are being taught at all levels. “In our staff meetings, we do lesson plans on core values. We also do the weekly advisory lessons on core values and digital citizenship. Every teacher is also given two ‘character cards’ to hand out to students that demonstrate our core values,” Mrs. Gail Love, principal, said.

Clear Springs does more to celebrate core values, though. “We also celebrate students modeling the core values through a program called ‘A Matter of Pride.’  Each month, a different core value is spotlighted, and teachers have the opportunity to nominate students who have shown through their actions and good works, the core values in action.  The students are treated to lunch in the cafeteria, given a t-shirt, a certificate, and their names will be shown in the Monday memo,” Mrs. Love said.

It is essential that students learn their own core values now before they go into the real world. Mrs. Lori Diaz, assistant principal at Clear Springs, said, “As educators, we have a lot more to do than just push our academic agenda. We’re responsible for making our students into better citizens.”

“As class officers, I think we’ve been trying to accomplish pushing the values more,” Evan Antie (11), class president, said. “The core value of citizenship is definitely one that resonates with me.”

Core values are more than just words heard in a weekly advisory lesson. There is substance and meaning behind every one of the traits that, if taken to heart, will lead to becoming a better citizen with a brighter future.