Boys Basketball Gearing Up for District Titles

Cade Draughon, Staff Reporter

Charger Basketball is heating up as the team approaches the final district games of the season.  The team put on a four-game winning streak during the month of January including wins against Dickinson (55-54), Clear Falls (69-52), Clear Brook (80-59), and Friendswood (58-40). The Chargers put up a good effort against Clear Lake on Saturday, January 20th but were defeated 72-90, bringing them to a 18-9 overall record and a 5-2 district record.

“Our strengths this season have been communication and working as a team,” Terrance Woodson (11) said.

The Chargers started off with a 9-2 lead started by Christian Waller (12), who finished with 17 points. However, the Chargers slowed down to a 17-20 deficit at the end of the first quarter.

“Our mentality is to win every game,” Woodson said.

Efforts by Marcus Williams (10) who finished with 23 points and Faite Williams (12) who finished with 13 points, made the game closer but team execution started to slow down as they trialed 32-46 at halftime. The Charger came into the second half looking to keep the game close but couldn’t quite slow the Falcons down as the game finished with a score of 72-90.

“We want to have better team communication against Clear Creek,” Woodson said.

However, the Chargers bounced back against Clear Creek on Tuesday, January 23 for their sixth district win, 67-44, at Carlisle Field House. This win puts The Chargers in a three-way tie with Clear Lake and Clear Creek for second place in the district.

The Chargers started off slow but regained steam as Marcus Williams and Christian Waller combined for 17 points, giving the Chargers a 16-point lead at the half. As the game went on the Chargers continued to dominate with the Williams brothers, Faite and Marcus,

Combining for 29 points. Woodson also contributed with 14 points.

The Chargers will look to continue their good play against Alvin on Friday, January 26th, at Alvin High School.