September Blood Drive Helps Children

Students await their turn to donate at the blood drive.

Brittany Hazlewood

Cindy Colato, Staff Reporter

Donating blood to help M. D. Anderson Children’s Hospital is a tradition at Clear Springs that started 10 years ago. Every pint saves a child’s life.

To be able to donate blood, students must meet certain requirements. They must be 17-years-old or older. Also, iron levels should be higher than 12.5 but less than 18.0 to be able to donate blood.

“At 17, students are considered legal as far as making decisions; they don’t need their parents here with them to actually donate,” Mrs. Jessica Daffern, HST teacher, said.

Students have to prepare in advance when they know they are going to donate blood.

“They have to get a good night’s sleep, eat a good breakfast, and if their iron level is too low, they should eat red meat or take iron supplements,” Tracy Hsia (11) said.

“Two reasons people can’t donate is because they have been out of the country in the past six months, or if they have had surgery recently,” Hsia said.

During the recent blood drive, many Health Science Technology students volunteered. They had designated areas such as checking donors in and out, making sure they eat a snack before and after donating, and handing them a shirt once they exit the gym.

Blood drives are organized because by Daffern and her communication with the M.D. Anderson doctors.

“My students help promote the blood drive by creating posters and signs, and by telling their peers. They help me advertise it during lunch,” Mrs. Daffern said.

The next blood drive is scheduled for January.