The Movie All Have Watched Before

Sydney Rose, Staff Reporter

While it began as a book trilogy focused on a teenage girl’s love story after the love letters she wrote to her five crushes are sent, “To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before” is now a Netflix movie.

And a phenomenon.

TATBILB has trended on twitter, filled Instagram feeds and taken over every Tumblr page (for those who remember the now ancient social media service). In a sense, it has got everyone talking.

“I always love movies like this that become popular. Call me bandwagon if you want, but it’s a really good movie.” Kristin Foy (11) said. “The story-line and looking at the behind the scenes makes it all better.”

Even the movies stars, Lana Condor and Noah Centineo, who play Lara Jean Song Covey and Peter Kavinsky, have increased in celebrity status and gained thousands of social media followers.

Condor grew not just as an actress, but as an advocate for representation in Hollywood and media alike, specifically for the Asian community.

Ethan Perales (12) said, “It was great to see a movie with a female, Asian lead as those are usually not very well represented in Hollywood. It was refreshing to see one that was well done and not with stereotypes. That was the original reason I chose to watch the movie.”

Other movies like ‘Crazy Rich Asians’ that came out the same month as ‘To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before’ are stepping in that more inclusive movie standard as well, celebrating diversity in film.

“I really like rom-coms, and I remember reading the book.” Tracy Hsia (12) said. “I was excited to see [the book] on the big screen.”

Centineo’s character has become quite popular with the people who have watched the film, with many saying they “want a Peter Kavinsky for themselves” (Kristin Foy).

“Most of the hype I would say is centered around Noah and his character.” Garin Gartman (12) said. “He’s the best male celebrity out there right now, but I’ve known about Noah since way before this, like when he was on The Fosters.”

Overall, the reviews for the film are almost all unanimously good, not just from our own student body, but by critics too, getting praise from Rotten Tomatoes with a 95% on the tomatometer.

The Netflix film is making its mark, and has been coined a “fun, must watch” by Jesseline Phillips (11) for teens and others alike.