A Review of Tim Burton’s “Wednesday”

Marcus Bracken, Staff Writer

Sticking to his dark and ominous vibe, Tim Burton took it upon himself to direct the new series “Wednesday” on Netflix. I personally really enjoyed the show, characters, plot, and even the crazy twist at the end. Starring Jenna Ortega as the sociopathic teenager, Wednesday Addams, she is forced to transfer to a boarding school for “outcasts” called Nevermore. She meets Principal Larissa Weems (Gwendoline Christie) and her new roommate Enid Sinclair (Emma Myers). Wednesday ends up getting involved with an ongoing police investigation. With the help of other classmates and normie Tyler Galpin (Hunter Doohan), Wednesday takes it upon herself to outshine authorities and solve this big mystery involving the normie town Jericho and Nevermore.  

My favorite aspect of the movie was that they included a cameo with Christina Ricci, who played the 1990’s rendition of Wednesday Addams. Ricci played a Professor/Dorm master, Marilynn Thornhill in this series.  

Even if you haven’t seen the show, I’m sure many have seen fan-edits of Wednesday’s improvised dance to Lady Gaga’s ‘Bloody Mary’ from her ‘Born this way’ album. This popular dance has brought another song back from the dead, ‘Goo Goo Muck’ by The Cramps, considering it was the original audio playing in the show. According to Jenna Ortega, during that dance scene; that very morning, she had been experiencing symptoms of COVID-19 but was given the OK to go on set by director Tim Burton, a choice many fans were critical of. 

Although this movie is great in almost every aspect, my only complaint about the show is that there were too many scenes that I thought we could go without. Some of the scenes were unneeded and we could’ve avoided the hour-long episodes.  

Overall, the show gets an 8/10 in my opinion.